Hello! It’s the 2020 pandemic and our physical location is CLOSED. But we are still selling books! If you live in the greater Cambridge, Watertown, Arlington, Medford, Somerville, Waltham, Belmont, or Lexington area, we will deliver them to your mailbox or front porch for FREE! We are also willing to ship you books. Contact us via email, email@example.com, or call 617-492-6763. (If you have to leave a message, we’ll get back to you.) You can also check our Instagram and Twitter pages for times when Tony will be in the store fielding calls. Status reports go out on our mailing list, here. You can buy a gift certificate via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org (but please DO NOT email that address). We are fundraising via classes for kids (scroll down or click here). We will let you know when we can do curbside pick-up again or when we might open our doors.
Jason Wiser will AGAIN be running his Intro to Comix Creation ONLINE class for kids next week, Monday, 11 May 2020 through Friday, 15 May 2020 from 3-4pm. COMIX CREATION ONLINE LEVEL 2 WILL BE THE WEEK AFTER, 18-22 May 2020, also from 3-4pm! Jason’s website for the class is here: http://www.yayaplay.com/classes.html
- Intro to Comix Creation LEVEL 1
- For ages 8+
- $50 per household – NOT per child! If you have one child or seven, it’s still $50!
- Monday, 5/11 through Friday, 5/15 at 3pm
- All your child needs is a pencil and paper!
- Please provide your email address (for the URL to connect you and your child to the class; no special software is needed) as well as the first name(s) and the age(s) of your child (or children) and whether it’s LEVEL 1, LEVEL 2, or BOTH!
- You’ll receive the link by 2:30pm on Monday, before class starts
Payment can be made via PayPal to email@example.com (but please DO NOT email that address; please DO put your email address and the names/ages of your child/children in the “Add a note” section AND whether you are signing up for Level 1, Level 2, or BOTH!) or on the phone with a credit card (our number is 617-492-6763). Since we’re not in the shop on a regular basis during the current stay-at-home order, if you need to do a credit card transaction, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave us a voice message with your phone number and a good time to call so that Tony Davis, owner of the MYP, can call you back. (I promise, we’re working on an e-commerce solution.) PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL US YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION.
ABOUT THE TEACHER:
Jason Wiser is a Harvard Instructor of Comics, Animation, and Game Development. His comics work has been published in the Boston Globe, his animation has appeared on the Disney TV show “Greek” and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and his published games include the award-winning cooperative card game for kids “Monsters in the Elevator” (www.YayaPlay.com/MITE).
PLEASE SHARE THIS AROUND! Even if you don’t have kids, your friends might be interested! Jason is kindly letting us keep the proceeds of this venture to raise money for the shop while we’re all practicing social distancing.
Friends and neighbors! We are still getting books! Here is a sample of NINE new books we received in the past week. There will be more soon! If you live in the greater Cambridge/Watertown/Arlington/Medford/Somerville/Waltham area, we will deliver them to your mailbox or front porch for free! We are also willing to ship you books. Contact us via email, email@example.com, or call 617-492-6763. (If you have to leave a message, we’ll get back to you.)
Catwad Me Three – The third volume of Jim Benton’s humor series for young readers.
Catwad, the snarky blue furball with a funny take on just about everything, is back in this third graphic novel in an all-new series from New York Times-bestselling author Jim Benton! Catwad and Blurmp are back and ready for more adventures in this newest volume in which they meet new friends, try out yoga (spoiler alert: Catwad hates it), and more! It’s a laugh-out-loud romp not to be missed, even if Catwad claims otherwise.
Ms. Marvel vol 2: Stormranger by Saladin Ahmed & Joey Vazquez.
Collects Magnificent Ms. Marvel (2019) #7-12. Kamala Khan really needs a break – but things don’t work like that for Ms. Marvel! Kamala’s road trip with Zoe and Nakia gets derailed by literal corporate zombies! The villainous Monopoly has set his sights on our magnificent hero – and his new recruits Discord and Lockdown are more than happy to deliver Ms. Marvel on a silver platter! And when disaster strikes Kamala’s family, she and Bruno are drawn closer together than ever before. Are these two best friends about to become something more? Or will Kamala’s duties as Ms. Marvel come between them? Plus: Doctor Strange’s skills are needed while Kamala tries to stop Mister Hyde’s rampage through Jersey City. With her new suit, she may just have the power needed – but does it come with a terrible cost?
The City We Became is a brand new novel by N.K. Jemisin, 3-time Hugo winner for the Broken Earth trilogy and writer for DC Comics Far Sector series. We are taking special orders for prose fiction and nonfiction as well as graphic novels!
Phoebe & Her Unicorn vol 11: Camping with Unicorns by Dana Simpson
School’s out, so Phoebe and her unicorn best friend, Marigold Heavenly Nostrils, have the entire summer to play games, visit the pool, and even go camping. Unicorn horns are excellent utensils for roasting things over the campfire, too, even if Marigold prefers toasted apples to s’mores. While exploring in the woods, Phoebe and friends meet a unicorn named Alabaster, who uses a special video game console that’s powered by plants. Throughout her summer adventures, Phoebe learns that being cool isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, and that it’s much better to be your true self. It’s all part of the unforgettable experience of Camping with Unicorns.
New middle-grade graphic novel from Scholastic, Nat Enough. First volume in a new series by cartoonist Maria Scrivan introduces Natalie on her first day of middle school as she attempts to overcome her insecurities and navigate this new world. “…gentle and timeless.” –Publishers Weekly. With expressive, comic strip-style art.
Making friends isn’t easy, but losing them is even harder! Natalie has never felt that she’s enough. Athletic enough, stylish enough, or talented enough. And on the first day of middle school, Natalie discovers that things are worse than she thought; now she’s not even cool enough for her best friend, Lily! As Natalie tries to get her best friend back, she learns more about her true self and natural talents. If Natalie can focus on who she is rather than who she isn’t, then she might realize she’s more than enough, just the way she is.
From award-winning French cartoonist Blutch, collecting a diverse array of short stories from the mid-1990s, translated into English for the first time by Matt Madden. And, yes, one sort story features a shape-shifting Robert Mitchum.
A star of French comics imagines America – its movie stars, its history, its fashion – in these tantalizing graphic short stories about everything from love to, yes, the actor Robert Mitchum. Blutch is one of the most inventive storytellers in comics, and nothing reveals it like Mitchum. Serialized and collected in the mid-90s and never before available in English, this is Blutch at his most wide-ranging: from Puritan fever dreams to an encounter with a shape-shifting Robert Mitchum, Blutch builds stories out of his dreams, visions of America, and anything else he can get his hands on.
Camp Spirt, a brand new 200+ page graphic novel by Axelle Lenoir. Cool-looking, vividly-colorful take on summer camp with some language and situations that make it more of a teen/adult read. Published by Top Shelf.
Summer, 1994. With just two months left before college, Elodie is forced by her mother to take a job as a camp counselor. She doesn’t know the first thing about nature, or sports, or kids for that matter, and isn’t especially interested in learning… but now she’s responsible for a foul-mouthed horde of girls who just might win her over. But just as Elodie starts getting used to her new environment-and close to one of the other counselors-a dark mystery lurking around the camp begins to haunt her dreams.
Art of Junji Ito: Twisted Visions. Already sold out! But we’re getting more!
A first-ever collection of Junji Ito’s artworks, featuring over 130 images from his bestselling manga titles along with rare works. This sublime collection includes all of Ito’s unforgettable illustrations in both black-and-white and color, from Tomie’s dreadful beauty to the inhuman spirals of Uzumaki. Includes an interview focused on Ito’s art technique as well as commentary from the artist on each work.
Eat And Love Yourself by Sweeney Boo (Love Is Love)
For fans of Seconds and Wet Moon! Mindy is a young woman living with an eating disorder and trapped in a battle for her own self-worth. When she accidentally discovers a magic chocolate bar that will give her a chance to revisit her past, she thinks she has a chance to put her life back on track. But will she be able to find a way back to her present, and just as important, a way to treat herself with love and kindness, at any size? Join the incredible creative duo of writer/artist Sweeney Boo (Marvel Action: Captain Marvel) and writer Lylian (Ellana) on a journey of self-discovery, self-acceptance, and just a bit of magic.
I need a more interesting phrase than “status report” but that’s what it is. We’re skipping April Fool’s day. I hope you don’t mind.
There are SEVEN different items in this report! I numbered ’em for clarity.
1. Tony will be IN THE SHOP three days this week: TODAY, Wednesday, from noon-4pm, as well as Friday (4/3), and Saturday (4/4) from noon to 5:30pm to take phone orders and answer questions. And, we are responding to email and voicemail 7 days a week! 617-492-6763 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Press inquiries WELCOME!
2. Jason Wiser will be running his Intro to Comix Creation ONLINE class for kids AGAIN next week, Monday, 6 April 2020 through Friday, 10 April 2020 from 1-2pm. He’s also considering a next level class! (Let us know via email to email@example.com if you and your kids might be interested in the next level!) More details on signing up for the basic class here: https://www.themillionyearpicnic.com/intro-to-comix-creation-online-class-for-kids-again/
3. In addition to the classes, Tony is still delivering comics to Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Arlington, and Belmont with a minimum purchase of $15. He’s going farther afield for larger orders. We’re also packing comics to ship via USPS to remote locations! Unfortunately, we’ve had to discontinue curbside pickup for the time being.
4. If you want to support us, you can buy a gift certificate via our PayPal using firstname.lastname@example.org (again, DO NOT EMAIL that address; you will not get a response). Just put the details in the note section PayPal provides. You have THREE options: (1) we can mail out gift certificates via the United States Postal Service, (2) we can hold them at the shop until we’re open again, or (3) we can put them in with an order of comics/graphic novels and deliver them to your house… let us know your preference in the note.
5. If you’re looking for prose books, we may be able to order them as well since we have access to a couple of distributors that are still open who do both graphic novels and prose books.
6. GREAT NEWS! OUR VOICEMAIL IS FIXED! You can leave us voice messages! We’ll even listen to them!
7. For more up-to-the-minute news and status reports, follow us on the various social media platforms, especially our main Instagram account (mostly Tony) and Twitter (mostly Kelly):
Main Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/myp_comics/
Back issues only Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/mypcomicsonline/
Our Twitter account: https://twitter.com/myp_comics/
Our Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/mypcomics/
Our Etsy account (also for back issues): https://www.etsy.com/shop/MillionYearPicnicMA
Join the MYP email list: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/millionyearpicnic
Thank you so much for all of your support! We really appreciate how much people are reaching out and helping us! Stay safe and healthy!